May 27, 2005

What I'm listening to...

Turin Brakes: Asleep With The Fireflies I keep wanting to call this "Asleep With Butterflies" because of the recent Tori Amos song. Turin Brakes is a great singles band. I LOVED their 2003 song Painkiller but I heard the CD and was left cold. This new track is similarly vibrant and the surprise here is a vaguely Hendrixian quality, it's subtle though - they haven't gone hard, they just weave in a little rocky-soulish-funkiness. You can hear the song in full via this link to Torr.

Oasis: Part Of The Queue In recent years I have much preferred Noel Gallagher's vocals to Liam's which now sort of grate on me. This is a great London-themed midtempo from their new CD, an album filled to the brim with ripoffs of other songs. They have never been so blatant. Listen to this one and others again courtesy of a
link provided by Torr.

Rascal Flatts: Bless The Broken Road What is with the double T? Anyway, it was robotic Carrie Underwood from American Idol that led me to this song, one of those tracks that is instantly familiar. I have at least 3 trolls reading this blog who like country music - girls who went honky tonk and you know who you are! Anyway, there isn't much to say about this song except that it's a very nice ballad, my momma will like it, and the lead singer of RF looks like Bette Midler.
Rascal Flatts site

Meanwhile, a few comments on recent pop press:

1) Surely Tom Cruise is on a manic high? Due to Scientology, he would never see a shrink or take meds for bipolar disorder, but I think that is what's wrong with him. Nothing excuses his comments on Brooke Shields medical situation. What a dick. I hope this is the start of a crash and burn. Sorry, but I do!


2) Did you see Courtney Love at the American Idol finale?
See here. She looked plumptious and healthy with her daughter. (BTW I do not like that bland Carrie chick at all. Mediocrity rules.)

3) If you have not seen the Anthony Lane review of the new Star Wars movie in the New Yorker, be sure to seek it out. The fans will be pissed! Here is a choice line: "I still fail to undertsand why I should have been expected to waste twenty-five years of my life following the progress of a beeping trashcan and a gay, gold-plated Jeeves." His take on Yoda is equally funny and mean: "You express yourself like a day-tripper with a dog-eared phrase book. 'I hope right you are.' Break me a fucking give."

2 comments:

V said...

I did see Tom on the Oprah show. Yeah, this guy is definately high on something. People say that he's in love. And I say, well, he REALLY wants us to know that he's in love with a girl and trying way TOO HARD to prove he's not gay.

Tim said...

My favorite line from Anthony Lane's review?

"The general opinion of 'Revenge of the Sith' seems to be that it marks a distinct improvement on the last two episodes, 'The Phantom Menace' and 'Attack of the Clones.' True, but only in the same way that dying from natural causes is preferable to crucifixion."

I LOVE IT!