April 19, 2005

Off-topic: Is Howard Dean good for the Dems?

While the conservative reaction to the recent Terri Schiavo case - particularly anything Tom "The Exterminator" Delay has to say on the subject - has pushed my head to explosion point, I would like to admit that Howard Dean's response, as leader of the DNC, has me worried.

He said this:
"We're going to use Terri Schiavo later on," Dean said of the brain-damaged Floridian who died last month after her feeding tube was removed amid a swarm of political controversy. Dean, who has called congressional intervention in the Schiavo case "political grandstanding," singled out House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) for his leading role in the matter. "This is going to be an issue in 2006, and it's going to be an issue in 2008," Dean told about 200 people at a gay rights group's breakfast in West Hollywood.

I believe the arrangement of words in yellow above was the worst possible thing that could have come out of Dean's mouth at this time. It was, to quote Delay, inartful, and it makes me wonder about his ability to lead the DNC in to the next election. He is a lightning rod and though I like his anger and fearlessness, I am not sure how it will play in Peoria. His style is the antithesis of the DNC's current stars like Hillary Clinton (who, mark my words, cannot be the 2008 candidiate. Can. Not.) and John Edwards, who I think still has comeback potential. Not that playing to the middle, as these two do, is necessarily the right way to go (pun intended). Whatever, this is about now and how America perceives government as using citizens as pawns in a power struggle. Perception is everything. If people believe Howard Dean is doing the same thing as the conservatives, he has no legs to stand on.

More on this topic at the excellent Daily Kos. Meanwhile, Jim in Whackoff tells me we should all kneel at the knees of Randi Rhodes, who I thought was a dead member of Black Sabbath. Apparently not.

No comments: