April 13, 2005

Tori List: Bliss of another kind

I can't find the Stars review I had planned to post, so instead I am picking ten personal favorite Tori Amos songs. This was very hard - I left off many songs I love (eg: Space Dog, Honey, Marianne, Red Baron...) and put on a few that could change.

China
(because it's a classic Tori piano song with beautiful airy production- I love the subtle reverb on the voice)
Pretty Good Year
(because the whole record was a masterpiece and this was an amazing opening song)
Baker Baker
(because it's fucking wrenching, even if a little obtuse)
Cornflake Girl
(because of the various bridges/vamps like "And the man with the golden gun..." which I am happy to sing into your answering machine)
Caught A Lite Sneeze
(because the harpsichord kicked ass and sounded like nothing else in pop music at the time...plus a nice sweater in the video and an even nicer "fuck you" to Trent Reznor)
Putting The Damage On
(because of the antique-ish horns. A sad song that should be played in snow)
Playboy Mommy
(for the great, melancholy lyrics and jazzy feel - the reconditioned Librarian version sucks though)
Bliss
(because of the first line - "father, I killed my monkey" and the hot cocina part... fucking strange)
Your Cloud
(see comments further down)
Taxi Ride
(because everything here is right, especially the arrangement. This one was a brilliant return to form -as they say - after her poor covers album. Even a glamorous bitch can be in need.)

I cannot pick her finest lyric because there are so many, but I would say that in recent years I have preferred the songs that are more transparent: Your Cloud is a perfect song in every way. In fact, I need a relationship just so I can break-up to this song.

If there is a Horizontal Line
that runs from the MAP
off your body
straight through the Land
shooting up
right through my heart

Will this Horiztonal Line
when asked
know how to find
Where you end
where I begin

3 comments:

The Dancing Kids said...

i so badly want to make the answering machine remix of cornflake girl into an MP3

xolondon said...

Well I don't own the rights, so have at it!

small squirrel said...

that song damn near killed me during my breakup with turtle....

but it is goooooorgeous.