October 5, 2004
Return of the Manics
Reasons to lend Manic Street Preachers your ear:
1) They wrote one of the Top Ten Finest Songs of the 1990's, called "A Design For Life" - it opened with the line "Libraries gave us power." This song is the definition of sweeping.
2) We like underdogs. Manic Street Preachers should have died when their frontman disapperared, but they didn't and the songs just got better.
3) I personally don't love their albums, just key singles that are frequently doozies, not to mention some of the best titled songs in pop music:
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)
You Stole The Sun From My Heart
The Masses Against The Classes
Motown Junk samples of each here
4) They have a new single called "The Love Of Richard Nixon" (see the video) and a new album called Lifeblood. Interestingly this one is supposed to be "elegaic" and calm.
5) They are Welsh and from Cardiff, a place of personal import to me! Read a great interview with MSP in The Guardian here.
Posted by xolondon